also had entrepreneurial success with artificially created ground vibrations
Historical Earthquake Station | Persons
Ludger Mintrop (1880-1956)
Ludger Mintrop was born near Essen, studied mine surveying in Aachen and subsequently went to Göttingen to work with Emil Wiechert, where he obtained his doctorate in 1911 with a dissertation on “Artificially generated ground vibrations”.
He then became a lecturer at the Bochum School of Mining and developed a portable seismograph, which he used to render the seismic methods usable for geology and mining.
In 1921, he established “Seismos GmbH”, a company specialising in geophysical mineral deposit research. This marked the beginning of the triumph of applied seismology in locating crude oil deposits. In 1928, Mintrop became Professor of Mine Surveying and Geophysics in Wroclaw. Between 1945 and 1948, he held the corresponding chair in Aachen. He is considered one of the pioneers of applied geophysics.
Adapted from: Walter Kertz